Monday, January 08, 2007

Memory


Watching CBS News Sunday Morning can be very educational. Take this past Sunday. In one segment they were talking about memory. They show you parts of the brain that is responsible for our memory. (I was a bit fearful that I wouldn't remember enough to write about it here, but maybe I will do OK.) They talked about the hippocampus, which after reading a bit more about it, I have learned that everybody has two of these, one on each side of the brain, and they are located in the temporal lobes. In Alzheimer's Disease, the hippocampus is the first area of the brain to suffer damage. Damage to this can also be caused by oxygen starvation--see the Wikipedia text. Sorry if I got a bit too technical here, but I thought this was interesting. It is good to know what part of the brain gives us our memories. As they said on the CBS show, you are your memories.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home