Friday, February 16, 2007

Heaven

On Valentine's Day I was able to escape all of my duties of my day job (QC Mgr. at a local textile finishing company) as I was chosen to serve on Jury Duty. In a very old video we watched with Charles Kuralt, he explained that it was really Jury Service, (although on the summons I received it said, Jury Duty.) But I digress. I took the opportunity to read a book, actually more of a book that I had started in January 2006. The book is Heaven, by Randy Alcorn. I am over halfway through it now. I am into Part II which is questions and answers. The author takes quite a bit of time in Part I expaining that the earth is in the fallen state, and there is a curse on this earth. But one day it will be a restored earth. It will be somewhat like the Garden of Eden, except that we won't have the temptation of eating from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. In fact we won't be tempted to commit any sin at all. He makes the point that wherever God is, there is Heaven, and where He is not, there is Hell. He also points out that we won't be tempted in Heaven, after all we will be in Heaven. He points out that a very popular book, The First Five People You Meet in Heaven, talks about friends you will see up there, but the author doesn't mention that we are going to see Jesus Christ, and God the Father. You have to wonder where this writer is spiritually. Many other good points are made in the book, Heaven and I recommend it wholeheartedly. Now if I could just read like Dan the Man Hawkins...

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Oldparatrooper said...

Did you get picked to serve?

2/19/2007 6:37 AM  
Blogger 007 said...

I did not. I was able to read the entire day, except of course when we were supposed to be watching the video with Charles K.

2/19/2007 5:38 PM  
Blogger Dan Hawkins said...

I actually pretty much refused to read that "5 people you meet in heaven" book for innumerable reasons. I think I read some of Randy Alcorn's fiction a long time ago, but I may have him mixed up with someone else.

2/27/2007 10:14 PM  
Blogger 007 said...

Randy did write some fiction as well, so you may not be mixed up as you think. Kinda like the guy who says, he thought he made a mistake last year, but after going back and checking, he found that it wasn't a mistake. (So his only mistake was thinking that he made one, when he didn't.) So, in any case Dan, don't get mixed up; there will be plenty of time for that when you get to be a senior citizen.

2/28/2007 2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home