Thursday, March 29, 2007

I remember...


I remember taking Ben to a Winston-Salem Spirits game when he must have been in middle school, and we sat with the VP of my company for most of the game, and then about the 8th inning he said, "I want to go over there (right field side foul area) and try to catch a foul ball." We both just happened to have gloves with us, and so we both headed over there. When we arrived, there were several other kids that had been waiting all game, and I could hear them saying, "He won't catch anything." And I was thinking the chances are slim in catching a foul ball at any game. Knowing Ben had never played little league, and I had not really played that much catch with Ben that I could remember, made the chances even smaller. Well, it wasn't long before what seemed like a rocket came our way, no, really right to Ben. I was thankful it had bounced once on the bank, before it hit Ben in the chest, and then landed right in his glove. After the game we were able to get three players to sign the ball, the name at the top is Rick Juday, and the second Ozzie somebody. Last time Ben was home I offered that ball to him, and he refused it. (Maybe it had to do with laying aside every dead weight or something.) I will keep that ball, and unless I develop Alzheimer's or get amnesia, I will remember that day for a long time.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger John said...

good story John

3/29/2007 9:16 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

and my ribs still hurt...

3/29/2007 10:50 AM  
Blogger 007 said...

Ben, it was worth it right? Give it 5 more years. It will get better. I remember playing "touch" football in grad school and I was blocked by a guy big enough to play in the pros. My sternum hurt for 10 years. But it did get better.

3/29/2007 3:25 PM  
Blogger Oldparatrooper said...

Another baseball catch story..We were at a Baltimore game and a foul ball came toward us. Somehow the ball landed in John Duke's pocket of his jacket. A rather fancy catch. Then there was the time we were playing at Little League in Rocky Mount....

3/30/2007 7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home