Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Remembering another time
















I have a slightly unusual post today. I am going through (and typing) my great grandfather's journal that he kept while serving as a soldier for the Confederacy. His name was John Phillip Louderback; he was my mother's father's father. He was later taken prisoner at Fishers Hill, VA, and it was there that he carved a beautiful watch chain from chicken bone and the buttons on his vest. I have that watch chain and the watch that goes with it today. I am posting an entry in his journal here:


1863 Thursday Jan 29
This morning is a gloomy time among the soldiers, as the snow is about ten inches deep, and we cannot have meat or bread owing to the deep snow, and the distance to hauling it is about 12 miles, and a very bad road. No items of news as I know of at this time. All is quiet.

This gives the reader a smidgeon of an idea of what life was like on that day back in 1863 for these soldiers. We think of how tough it is to live our lives here in America sometimes, and going through this journal allows me a different perspective. It also helps me to appreciate any of our soldiers away from home, especially those who are at war.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

Wow! Thats amazing you still have something like that from so far back!

Life is easy...

1/27/2006 10:56 AM  
Blogger 007 said...

Thanks. If you ever get a chance to stop by the house, I will give you a personal viewing!

1/30/2006 2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home