Sunday, November 05, 2006

Day on the Parkway












Last weekend we took a trip on the parkway and although the leaves had past their peak, it was a beautiful day. We started out going past Pilot Mountain (not to be confused with Mt. Pilot,) and then on to Mabry Mill. I have shown a shot of some cows and ducks, but the really interesting part of the trip was visiting the Peaceful Heart Alpaca Farm and Store at Mile Post 204 on the Parkway (in Fancy Gap.) They have been there only since February, but you could tell they really enjoyed taking care of these animals. Inside the store you may purchase alpaca sliver or yarn (made locally) or garments or other items made in Peru. Again, this is another area of textiles that I had studied years ago, and after all these years I finally take my first field trip. (Most likely I would have had to go the Andes Mountains in Peru in the 1970s to view these animals.) Like they say, you learn something every day.

2 Comments:

Blogger John said...

So those are alpaca are they? I thought that perhaps they were llamas; I was even going to say Hello Dahli!
Anyway, played tennis on grass yesterday; had lots of funny bounces and I hit the deck 3 times, but it was a lot of fun. I'm inspired to play again! Have a great week

11/06/2006 8:44 PM  
Blogger 007 said...

Actually, alpacas are related to llamas and vicuna. I bet you have never heard of vicuna, have you? Sorry you hit the deck, but at least it wasn't all that hard, or was it? I have played badmitton on grass but not tennis. You know what I have always wanted to play? Yep--platform tennis. It must be a little bit like raquetball, as you can play off of the fence.

11/06/2006 9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home