Friday, October 06, 2006

Baobab Tree



I came across the upper photo in a blog (can you imagaine that?) and here is the URL: http://scottandbeckylycan.blogspot.com/
Just look at the size of that tree in the lower pic! That is huge! I was reminded of a painting that was given to my son Ben and and his wife Sarah, of such a tree with a young lady beside it. It was a gift from my niece and her husband (Sheri and Brett,) who will be medical missionaries in Mali, West Africa, after they finish studying French in Albertville (France.) This tree has a few different legends as how the tree came to look like it does and you can read more about it:
  • here.
  • 3 Comments:

    Blogger Dan Hawkins said...

    I've found big trees fascinating ever since I read Travels With Charley by Steinbeck. I really enjoyed his description of the Pacific NW. I really want to go out there and see them. I think there's a little resonance from the Ents from Lord of the Rings as well. I've seen pictures of Baobabs before, but I don't think I realized they were as big as they are

    10/10/2006 10:16 PM  
    Blogger 007 said...

    If you want to see some pretty big trees in this country, and esp. if you go out west, you should go to the Muir Woods just north of San Francisco in Marin County. David took me there--twice. Once was with Ben when the three of us took a road trip across country to move David to SF, and the other time was with Pat, when we visited him for 10 days around Thanksgiving. They are magnificent, and you can walk through the woods fulll of those trees.

    10/11/2006 8:51 PM  
    Blogger 007 said...

    Sorry, I forgot to say that those are the giant redwoods.

    10/11/2006 9:15 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home