Thursday, May 24, 2007

Thinking about this old song...

I'm not scared of dyin' and I don't really care
If it's peace you find in dyin', well, then let the time be near;
If it's peace you find in dying, when dyin' time is here,
Just bundle up my coffin, cause it's cold way down there.

My troubles are many, they're as deep as a well,
I can swear there ain't no heaven, but I pray there ain't no hell.
Swear there ain't no heaven, pray there ain't no hell,
But I'll never know by livin', only my dyin' will tell
Only my dyin' will tell.

I happened to be thinking about this oldies song by Blood Sweat and Tears the other day. I haven't quoted the whole song, but I thought how bold the writer/singer is in saying he's not scared of dying, and he "can swear there ain't no heaven, but I pray there ain't no hell." I just wondered to whom is he praying? God would surely be in Heaven, and he feels sure there is no such place. Only his dying will tell. I believe there will be many like this man who will be sadly surprised. We can pray for him and witness as we have opportunity to the saving power of Jesus Christ.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger 007 said...

I just noticed that even though a man sings this song in the group, Blood, Sweat and Tears, that a woman wrote these lyrics. Her name is Laura Nyro, and she died in 1997 at the age of 50. As she says, "But I'll never know by livin', only my dying will tell."

2/04/2008 3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home