Monday, June 25, 2007

GUYS AND DOLLS



My wife and I enjoyed the Kernersville Little Theatre's production, "Guys and Dolls" Saturday night. Joe Boles, one of Ben's friends from middle school/high school starred as Sky Masterson. This is Joe's first show at KLT. The female lead was played by Meagan Newell, a junior at Liberty University studying Video Production and Theatre. She played the part of Sarah Brown who works with the Salvation Army in a real effort in saving sinners in NYC. This musical had excellent acting and singing. Meagan can really hit the high notes! Other notable performance: Christina Rodriquez who played Miss Adelaide. She is a grad student at NYU where she is getting her MA in Educational Theatre. Also, Gary Stirewalt played Nathan Detroit, (Miss Adelaide's fiance for 14 years.) I could have shown more shots of the play but the quality is poor due to the fact that they didn't allow any flash photos.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Dan Hawkins said...

Shamefacedly, I admit I have not seen the play or the movie, nor have I read the script....

6/26/2007 12:43 PM  
Blogger 007 said...

Dan Hawkins! I am in shock! I think you will like it wherever and whenever you see it. I had seen a clip of the movie with Marlon Brando and Jean Simmons from watching one of Barbra Streisand's final performances. She shows a clip as she tells how she was in love with Marlon Brando when she was age 14. The briefly go into the song, "I'll know."

6/26/2007 2:58 PM  
Blogger Dan Hawkins said...

Yeah, it is a shock, isn't it...

In my defense I've only recently (as in past couple of years) started to really get into older (by which i mean '85 or earlier with particular emphasis on the 70's and earlier).

I'm starting to side with the ones who say that the older movies are generally better, though, as Ebert points out, we only remember the good ones. The percentage of dreck to gold is probably only slightly more weighted towards dreck than it used to be. Its just that the filtering process has been more or less taken care of in the case of the older movies...

6/26/2007 8:36 PM  
Blogger 007 said...

It is true that just because a movie (or a play) is old, it doesn't mean that is good or better than anything made recently. However, I found it interesting that in the list of AFIs top 100 movies, you can look at the top 20, and 13 of those are made in the 1960s or earlier. BTW, the only one of the top 20 that I have not seen is Lawrence of Arabia ('62) with Peter O'Toole, but I now have it in my Blockbuster queue.

6/27/2007 6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home