Friday, November 30, 2007

Writing on the Bathroom Walls

I may have mentioned that I enjoy eating at Whole Foods quite often. In case you haven't heard, I enjoy eating at Whole Foods quite often. In the men's bathroom there is writing on the walls. Its not what you think. Someone in their employ has painted three thought-provoking phrases of wisdom there:
1. To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art.
2. Live and love each day as if it were your last.
3. Take care of the earth and she will take care of you.

Now the first two seem harmless enough, and I think that I would agree with them for the most part. However, that 3rd one seems to me to be leaning just a bit toward the new age type of thinking. What do you think?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger John said...

Other than the writer assuming the gender of the earth I don't think this is new age thinking; very old age I believe. Early in Genesis we're told to take care of the earth. Being good stewards is part of our responsibility.
What do you think?

11/30/2007 3:58 PM  
Blogger 007 said...

Thank you for your astute thinking Sir Duke. I agree we should take of the earth and maybe assuming the gender of the earth to be female is what makes me think this is new age. However, I believe it is God in Heaven that "takes care of us" and certainly not "mother earth." What do you think?

11/30/2007 4:16 PM  
Blogger John said...

Agreed!

11/30/2007 4:32 PM  
Blogger Dan Hawkins said...

slight non-sequiter alert: Steven King wrote a really good short story built around the concept of a guy who kept several notebooks in which he recorded (obsessive-compulsively) all the graffiti he found in restrooms on his travels. I forget the title, but remember being very moved.

12/01/2007 10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home