Friday, January 25, 2008

Planet Earth















First off, let me say that the one DVD that I have viewed has some spectacular shots and clips. I love seeing these beautiful animals and scenery that I know I will never get to see up close and personal. This one does give several different viewpoints, not just one. (Both sides of the issues are discussed.)

I do have one problem with what was said by Dr. Betsy Dresser, Senior VP Audobon Nature Institute. She says, "... a hundred years ago, we were in horses and buggys and if somebody had said, "We're going to the moon in a number of years, before this next century," we would have laughed, and then in 1963, where were we? We were on the moon!"

I remember that it was 1969 when Neil Armstrong first took "one small step for a man" and touched the surface of the moon. I looked it up too. To be exact it was July 20, 1969 at 10:56 PM EDT. You might say, "Well, we put something on the moon in 1963." Nope. Sorry, but you would be wrong. JFK made a commitment May 25, 1961 to go to the moon. There was meeting with President Kennedy and NASA administrator James Webb Nov. 20, 1962 about human spaceflight. But we had sent no one or no thing to the moon in 1963. You can check out these and other facts here. It just seems to me that a doctor (PhD) would check the facts out before making this statement. One would think that the producers of the show would have someone else catch this mistake before at least before the DVD is made. Its not like everyone here is too young to remember that time.

OK, just one more beef. Mr. James Lovelock answers the question, "How many people should there be on the earth?" We know there are approximately 6 billion now. He says, "500 million to one billion. No more than that." How did he come up with that number? The one billion is a nice round number, I suppose. So are we going to try to bring that number down? Others discuss how this should be done. Reduce the birth rate. This is done by education and birth control, so they say. Some have said that God's command to Noah to "go forth and replenish the earth" has been fulfilled. So now, I will open it up for discussion.

Footnote: I really did enjoy watching part of Planet Earth. I look forward to watching more.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Dan Hawkins said...

I've heard all good things about the series.

1/26/2008 8:47 AM  
Blogger 007 said...

The video is fantastic. I will post some more pics of the wildlife and landscapes and seascapes.

1/26/2008 10:31 AM  
Blogger 007 said...

In case you have trouble reading about the Amur Leopard, it says that there are fewer than 30 left in the wild.

1/26/2008 11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home