Thursday, September 21, 2006

History of Computation








Well just the other day someone was looking for a sliderule at the office, and I said, "My pocket calculator can do whatever you want much faster." He said that he knew that, but he wanted the sliderule for sentimental reasons. So I remembered learning how to use one in high school and continuing on in college. (I understand how the abacus works, but I never really got proficient using one.) So I got to thinking what tools man has used in helping him to perform mathematical operations over time. As you see, we start out with simple pencil and paper, then move on to abacus, and then sliderule. Then the simple pocket calculator, and then the modern computer. We have come a long way--it kinda makes you wonder what will we see next?

3 Comments:

Blogger Oldparatrooper said...

Double Naught Seven,
You failed to mention the earliest form of counting and one I still use.....MY FINGERS!!!

9/23/2006 7:01 PM  
Blogger 007 said...

I will add that just for you!!

9/24/2006 11:13 PM  
Blogger Oldparatrooper said...

EARNHART!!!!
#3

9/25/2006 12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home