Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Cycling Update



I had a personal best today! For about 3 or 4 years now I have been trying to beat the time I did Salem Lake with my son Ben. On a hot summer day in 2002 Ben and I rode around the lake in 33:12. I was on an old road bike. No, really it was just a bike with a few gears and medium thin tires (compared to this "mountain bike.") After trying to better that time, I was really beginning to wonder if we ever did it that fast. In any case, today I had set out to just ride, and really wasn't going to try for a great time since it was 94 degrees F when I left the house. I just thought I would have a comfortable ride. Of course I would time myself, just so I would know. I started at a medium pace, and I thought I was enjoying the ride. I even tried to relax as I rode. So about halfway around, I looked at my watch and noticed that I was on a pretty good pace. I said, "Well, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing." And it really didn't seem that hot with all the shade on the trail. Then I thought, "It would be a real shame not to see what kind of time I can turn." In the past I would try to build momentum before the hills, which really makes no sense, because you lose that at the bottom. Today I relaxed and breathed more deeply than necessary before I reached the hill, and I think it paid off in that I had more wind for climbing. Long story short (or maybe its too late for that) but I finished the course in, yes, as you can see on my stopwatch 32:51.24! That is my personal best for getting around the lake on a bike! Needless to say, I was overjoyed, thankful, and glad that I still had energy to spare. Now I know that I won't do that well the next time, or certainly not every time, because it seems that we all have good days, and days that aren't quite as good. This has been a great day, and I am telling the whole world! Do you hear me world?

6 Comments:

Blogger Dan Hawkins said...

congrats on the time!

I had heard that limerick before, but I think my favorite is by shel silverstein:

There're too many kids in this tub
there're too many elbows to scrub
I just washed a behind
I'm sure wasn't mine
There're too many kids in this tub

7/19/2006 1:00 AM  
Blogger John said...

Reading you loud and clear there Lance; shall we book a flight on Air France for you next summer?

Way to go!

7/19/2006 8:28 AM  
Blogger 007 said...

Dan and Duke: Thanks for the congrats. It is good to be able to achieve something that you thought might be too late. Dan, I like that limerick; I might just have to try my hand at writing one.

7/19/2006 9:49 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

Good work Dad! Does this mean I have to give up my yellow shirt next time I see you?

7/19/2006 10:00 AM  
Blogger The Cox Family said...

Way to go!

7/19/2006 2:14 PM  
Blogger 007 said...

Well Ben, I wouldn't expect you to just give it up, but the next time we ride, the old man just might be able to keep up with you. Thanks Shannon for your comments. Glad to have you as a reader/commentator.

7/19/2006 2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home